what information do we collect?
We collect two types of information: personal information and non-personal information. Personal information, such as name, address, phone number, e-mail address, etc., is collected only through your submission of it to the Site. For example:
- We collect information from you when you register on the Site, place an order, enter a contest or sweepstakes, respond to a survey or communication such as e-mail, or participate in another Site feature.
- When ordering or registering, we may ask you for your name, e-mail address, mailing address, phone number, credit card information or other information needed to process your order. You may, however, visit our Site anonymously.
- We also collect information about gift recipients so that we can fulfill the gift purchase.
Non-personal information is data about usage and service operation that is not associated with your specific identity. Non-personal information is collected automatically each time a visitor comes to the Site. For example:
- We collect data regarding the type of browser you use, the number of pages you visit on the Site, the amount of time you spend on the Site, and the source of your IP address (for instance, whether you are accessing us from a location with a “.edu,” “.com,” “.gov” or international server).
- Like many websites, we use “cookies” to enhance your experience and gather other information about visitors and visits to our Site. Please refer to the “Do we use ‘cookies’?” section below for information about cookies and how we use them.
mailings and marketing communications
If you provide us with personal information, and choose to join a particular company’s email list, we will place you on that company’s list to receive e-mail regarding product/service updates, special offers, important issues and new products and services from that company as well as other subsidiaries and affiliates of Steelcase. If you do not wish to receive e-mail updates or other marketing communications from that particular company or other Steelcase subsidiaries and affiliates, please contact us at the opt-out option at the bottom of our marketing communication.
how do we use your information?
We use the personal information we collect from you when you register, purchase products, enter a contest or promotion, respond to a survey or marketing communication, or use certain other Site features, in the following ways and as you may otherwise consent to, or as may be permitted or required by law:
- To personalize your Site experience and to allow us to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested.
- To allow us to better respond to your customer service requests.
- To quickly process your transactions.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other Site feature.
- If you opt-in to receive marketing communications from us (such as promotions, exclusive offers or information about new products), we may send you periodic e-mails. If you would no longer like to receive promotional e-mail from us, please refer to the “How can you opt-out, remove or modify information you have provided to us?” section below.
- To maintain our business records for reasonable periods, and to manage and administer our business generally.
- To meet legal, regulatory, insurance, security and processing requirements.
We may use the non-personal information we collect from you in a number of ways. Generally, this data is most helpful to us in an aggregate form:
- To track Site usability, performance and effectiveness.
- To perform market research in order to evaluate how our customers use the Site.
how do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to safeguard the information we collect from you. Your personal information is contained within secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. When you place orders or access your personal information, we offer the use of a secure server and recommend that you use an SSL-enabled browser such as Safari, Mozilla FireFox, or Internet Explorer. Doing so protects the confidentiality of your personal and credit card information while it is transmitted over the Internet. All sensitive/credit information you supply is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our databases to be only accessed as stated above.
Nevertheless, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure. As a result, while Steelcase strives to protect the privacy of the information we collect, Steelcase cannot ensure that any information you transmit to us will be 100% secure. Therefore, use the Site at your own risk.
do we use “cookies”?
Cookie technology is also used in the delivery of our advertisements to you on other websites across the internet. This form of marketing is called Retargeting, and it enhances the web surfing experience by showing advertisements that are of interest to you. An advertising partner’s website can identify a cookie on your hard drive and recognize that you previously visited our Site. You can then be shown an advertisement about our company, our affiliates, and our affiliates’ products and services. None of the data can be used to personally identify you or any of your other online activities outside of your visits to our advertising partners’ websites. If you do not wish to receive retargeted advertising, please refer to the “How can you opt-out, remove or modify information you have provided to us?” section below.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies. If you turn off all cookies, you won’t have access to many features that make your Site experience more enjoyable and some of our services will not function properly.
how do we disclose your personal information?
We may disclose your personal information in the following circumstances:
- As necessary to meet legal, regulatory, insurance, audit and security requirements, and as otherwise with your consent or as permitted or required by law (including United States, Canadian and foreign laws applicable to us or our agents and service providers, and including lawful requirements to disclose personal information to governmental authorities in those jurisdictions).To enforce our Site policies and protect our and others’ rights, property or safety.
- To our affiliates in the United States, Canada and elsewhere for internal audit, management, billing or administrative purposes.
Non-personal information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses. In particular, we may contract with third-party service providers to assist us in better understanding our Site visitors. These service providers are not permitted to use the information collected on our behalf except to help us conduct and improve our business.
how can you opt-out, remove or modify information you have provided to us?
To modify your e-mail subscriptions, please let us know by modifying your preferences in the “My Account” section. Please note that due to email production schedules you may receive any emails already in production.
To delete all of your online account information from our database, sign into the “My Account” section of our site and remove your shipping addresses, billing addresses, and payment information. Please note that we may maintain information about an individual sales transaction in order to service that transaction and for record keeping.
To choose not to have cookie data used to provide you targeted ads, here’s what to do:
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our Website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here: (www.FetchBack.com/optout.html)
what steps does Steelcase take to safeguard children’s privacy?
Steelcase does not knowingly collect information from children under 13 years of age without the verifiable consent of a parent or guardian. If a child who we know is younger than 13 years old sends us personal information without the verifiable consent of that child’s parent or guardian, we will immediately delete such information from our database.
third party links
In an attempt to provide you with increased value, we may include third party links on our Site. These linked sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our Site and welcome any feedback about these linked sites (including if a specific link does not work).
changes to our policy
questions and feedback
We welcome your questions, comments, and concerns about privacy. Please contact us to send us any and all feedback pertaining to privacy or any other issue.
access, corrections and contacting us
We may establish and maintain a file of your personal information for the purposes described above. If you wish to request access to or correction of your personal information in our custody or control, you may contact us. Your right to access or correct your personal information is subject to applicable legal restrictions. If you wish to make inquiries or complaints or have other concerns about our personal information practices, you may contact us.