A Fresh Start to the New Year
I've talked to a variety of people this past month, and one topic of discussion that came up over and over again was all the things they did NOT accomplish or achieve in 2011.
Yes, there are certainly things I wish I would have accomplished and crossed of my list last year... but I didn't, and there's nothing I can do about it anymore!
The start of another calendar year brings with it a clean, new slate -- just waiting for another long list of goals and to-do's; and if you haven't taken the time to think about what your goals are for this new year, there's no better time to start than right now!
Here are a few ideas to get you thinking:
- Do you want to expand your business? — Start thinking about what your ultimate business goals might be and then create a plan to achieve them.
- Do you want to start a new business? — Write out a business plan and talk with someone who’s already done what you want to do.
- Do you want to work from home? — Start researching options to see how this might work and then write out your plan.
- Would you like to lose weight? — Write down the specific number of pounds per month you want to lose.
- Do you want to eat healthier? — Research and write down what foods you will and will not bring into your home.
- Do you want to go “green”? — Write down one thing you will do each month to live a more green life style.
- Do you want to save up for a large purchase? — Write down the total amount and then break it down by month. Then sit down and figure out if you’ll realistically be able to save that much in a year’s time.
- Do you want to expand your business? – Start researching and thinking about how much money you'll need for the expansion and then create a plan to save that amount or apply for a loan.
- Do you want to add to your retirement account? – Talk with your financial adviser and set up a automatic deposit each month. It could be as little as $25 a month, but you might be surprised how quickly that money adds up!
- Do you want to read X-number of books this year? — Write down that list and then cross them off as you complete each book
- Do you want to learn a new hobby or skill? — Sign up for private lessons or a group class. Check out books from the library or watch YouTube videos to learn more about it.
- Do you want to do more volunteer work? – Think about what you enjoy doing and what you feel passionate about and then look for organizations that need volunteers.
- Do you want to get more organized or better manage your time? – Take 10 or 15 minutes each day to organize one small thing in your home or office. Stop procrastinating. Get up 30 minutes earlier so you have more time.
I know I'm excited to see what the New Year has in store for me -- and I can't wait to start crossing things off my brand new to-do list!
Take some time this week to really stop and think about what goals you want to set for yourself in the coming months and then write them down! You might be surprised at how many of them you actually achieve!
What is one of your goals for the New Year?