Company Field-Trips for Adults
Remember the days in school when it was a huge treat to have class outside? And field trips were exciting, because it meant leaving the classroom? The same idea can apply to adults, even in a fast-paced business world. Dealing with lack of productivity and burnout can happen at anytime in the year, and a mid-day break that shakes things up from the normal daily grind keeps spirits high.
It may seem counterproductive to take a large break in the middle of the day, because the work still needs to get done. However, a well deserved trip away from the desk, even for a couple of hours, will refresh and rejuvenate even the most grouchy employees.
What types of "field trips" am I talking about? The same idea applies from when we were kids. A field trip doesn't necessarily have to mean "playing hooky".
1. Arrange to attend a conference or a lunch talk with your coworkers, with the mission of getting inspired from what others are doing (this has helped me if I am feeling stuck on a project). You can find lots of events catered to your interests on Eventbrite or Meetup.
2. Invite customers into the office or out to lunch as a small appreciation. This extra step of customer service feels great, and gives you the chance to really get to know who is using your product (a nice lunch AND research!).
3. As a group, choose a worthy charity and volunteer together for a couple of hours during the week. New York Cares will email times and dates of projects that need volunteers, and all you have to do is click to sign up. Helping out not only feels great, but it also puts the company in a positive light.
4. Ignore what I said before...play hooky if you want! Plan a field-trip with the office that is just for fun. Go to a movie in the middle of the day, find a mini-golf course, or go to a museum. While it is still nice out, grab some coworkers for a picnic or walk. You don't have to be stuck inside just because summer is over.
5. Having some fun can be in the office as well...hop over to your game room for a tournament of Mario Kart or Rockband.
Small escapes throughout the day is like a mini-vacation, and instantly refreshes you so you can feel more productive throughout the rest of the day.