How to Choose the Right Coworking Space for You
Looking for a coworking space that’s right for you? With over 10,000 coworking locations globally, allowing people to share equipment, ideas and knowledge, the options are many — which means you may have some work to do to decide which one’s right for you. Coworking is appealing to startups, small businesses, freelancers, creatives, and remote workers. Spaces come in all shapes and sizes, but the best one for you will depend on your particular working style.
If you’re looking for a new shared space, start by asking yourself these 22 questions:
1. Determine your needs
- Do you want to work in a room with a lot of energy and ambient noise, or do you prefer a quieter environment?
- Do you want a fixed, permanent location or flexibility to move within one location or to other locations?
- Do you want full-time or part-time space?
- Do you need conference room space?
- How much quiet space do you need for phone calls? If you take calls all day long, a dedicated office space with a closed door may be the best fit for you.
- What kinds of amenities are important to you? (conference rooms, reservable enclaves, printing, coffee, etc.)
- As your needs for people change, can the space grow or shrink with you?
2. Evaluate the community
- Do you like the community members and will you click with them?
- How friendly and helpful is the staff?
- Do you want a lot of social interaction or privacy?
- Are attending networking and educational events with the community important to you?
- Do you want to meet people for potential collaboration?
- Do the people in the community have the potential for collaboration?
3. Compare to the competition
- How much does it cost on a monthly basis?
- How long is the contract?
- Is it an easy commute from home?
- How convenient is it for customers, prospects and vendors?
- What are the hours of operations?
- What kind of security does it have?
- Do you like the physical decor and overall ambiance?
- What is the noise level?
- Is the lighting good?
No space is going to be a perfect fit, so prioritize the most important features when evaluating a space — but don’t compromise. Ask colleagues for their recommendations, but remember: The best coworking spaces should allow you to be authentic, to bring your personality and passion with you, and should be agile enough to grow as your team grows.